FROM MEDIEVAL EUROPE TO A TROPICAL ISLAND PARADISE WHILST SUPPORTING UNDERSERVED YOUTH
Lisbon is the stylish and historic capital of Portugal and was recently voted ‘Europe’s coolest city’ by CNN and with it’s mix of vibrant nightlife, art and food against an enchanting backdrop of cobbled alleyways, ancient ruins and white-domed cathedrals its easy to see why. You’ll see the best the city has to offer like the medieval Plaza del Rossio, the iconic La Se, Portugal’s most important cathedral that dates from the 12th Century and take in the breathtaking views from the Moorish castle of São Jorge.
Of course, soccer is part of the fabric of Portuguese society and the national team are reigning European champions. You’ll tour the magnificent, 65,000 capacity Estadio da Luz, home of soccer giants Benfica, the current Portuguese national champions and dine at the stadium’s incredible Panoramic Restaurant. You’ll also get a guided tour of the Benfica Academy’s Caixa Futebol Campus, eat in the canteen and even train and play with local teams. You’ll also learn about the work of the Benfica Foundation which supports underprivileged youth.
You’ll also learn about the history of Portugal’s African colonies and slavery and the influence of that history on the country’s soccer culture before your departure for Africa.
Cape Verde is a tiny but beautiful nation composed of sub-tropical and volcanic islands in the Atlantic Ocean. The former Portuguese colony, now known for its unique Creole Portuguese-African culture, is situated about 500 kilometers off the coast of Senegal, and once served as an important center of the slave trade.
Santiago is the largest and main island of Cape Verde, located in the South. Tarrafal, a town on the northern part of Santiago, boasts the best beaches on the island with their white sand, turquoise water, and fishing boats floating among peaceful waves. The town is the epitome of a tropical paradise, with beautiful weather all year round. You’ll experience the warmth and wonder of this beautiful island whilst also learning about the history of slavery and colonialism that still affects the youth of today.
This destination offers a range of soccer activities that we can use to create experiences from BEGINNER to ELITE level.
Experiences available include*;
- Tour of F.C. Benfica’s Estadio da Luz, Training Academy and friendly matches v F.C Benfica youth teams
- Attend a professional match (subject to availability and additional cost)
- Pick up soccer with local kids on the beach
- Train and play at the FIFA Football for Hope Center
- Learn football3 – a unique way of playing football that is changing lives across the world. It is based on the principle that the basic values of fair play, gender equality, teamwork and respect
- Organize a football3 tournament for local children
- Friendly matches v local teams
- Make friendships that will last a lifetime